-, Sir Peter, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and Justice of Common Pleas, and his wife, Katherine Bohun, altar-tomb to, 1467 147 Argyle House, Felstead (29) 79 "Armond, 1632, George," inscription on door of S. -,-, 16th-century: Barking; Faulkbourne; Good Easter; Great Hallingbury; Magdalen Laver; Springfield; Stapleford Abbots; Theydon Garnon; Willingale Doe; Witham -,-, Luther.Chapel, Witham Church 265 Arms, Coats of, Effigies, Military. Arnold's Farm, Lambourne (5) 144 Arrowsmith, arms 198 Arrowsmith, Thomas, rector of North Weald Bassett, 1705/6, and Margaret his wife, 1702, floor-slab to 198 Asfeldens, Berners Roding (3) 14 Ash Ground, Good Easter 90 Ashcote Farm (formerly), Great Waltham (21) 108 Ashfield, Great Canfield (10) 93 Ashlings, Magdalen Laver (3) 169 Ashlyns, site of, High Ongar (2) 132 Ashman's Farm, Woodham Walter (5) 271 Assers, Good Easter (12) 89 Atkyns, arms 243 Atkyns, Francis, floor-slab to, 1640 243 Attridge's, High Roding (10) 135 Aubyns, Writtle (12) 276 Augustine, St., glass 180 Austen, Henry, servant of the Earl of Carlisle, brass to, 1638 243 Austin, arms 138 Austin, Frances, wife of James, 1698, and James, 1699, floor-slab to 138 Austin Canons Religious Houses.A conservation charity it was founded to safeguard and promote Thaxted's legacy and considerable charms.It has a standing remit from its membership to scrutinise and respond to local planning and Government planning regulation and policy.The annual Thaxted Festival takes place over four weekends in June and July every year, presenting a programme of musical concerts.Thaxted football club, the Thaxted Rangers, has a senior team and youth teams.Thaxted has a Parish Council with limited statutory powers.
The Thaxted Society celebrated its fiftieth year in 2013 and published the 100th issue of the Thaxted Bulletin in winter 2017.
Notable Thaxted buildings include Horham Hall, Thaxted Guildhall dating from around 1450 and John Webb's Windmill built in 1804.
The parish church of St John, built between 13, is renowned for its flying buttressed spire, which is 181 feet tall and is the only medieval stone spire in the county.
A light railway, the Elsenham & Thaxted Light Railway, eventually opened in 1913, though the railway itself never reached nearer than three-quarters of a mile (1.2 km) from the town, as building earthworks across the River Chelmer proved too costly.
With the growth of road transport, the line was closed to passengers in 1952 and closed altogether in 1953.